Monday, December 8, 2014

Less than a month!

Nervous, excited, anxious. I am feeling these emotions and so many more! I leave for Norway in less than a month, and I feel like I have so much to do before I go! I know the time is going to go so fast, especially with Christmas stuck right in the middle of now and when I leave!

Tonight we had our pre-departure meeting. This meeting was super informative, and answered many of the questions I have about my time abroad. However, there are still things I am a little worried about. One of these things is finances. I am not worried about having enough money, rather I am questioning if my debit card will work while I am there. I know it will work at all ATMs, so at least I have some piece of mind that even if it won't work at some stores, that I will not be left with no money!

Now here's my big concern of the moment...packing! I am having a really hard time trying to figure out how I will pack one (possibly two) suitcases with all the stuff I will need for the five months I am gone. Not only that, but how do I pack everything and still be under the fifty pound weight restriction?! Especially considering I am going to a colder climate and am going to need some heavier clothes! I have a feeling the next few weeks will include a lot of putting outfits together, deciding I don't really need something, and lots of placing bags on a scale to make sure I'm within my weight limit!

Tonight a lot of the talk centered around culture shock,  which I think is a very important topic to start talking about before we leave. I know that I am going to experience culture shock and I am trying to prepare myself for that. I know that leaving my friends and family is going to be tough for me, but thankfully I will be able to stay in contact thanks to the internet! When I arrive in Norway, I just need to try and stay busy and get out and meet new people. I think if I am able to do that, it will really help me both in the culture shock I will experience and also help me from not being so home sick!

My overall feeling right now is excitement. I know that I am going to have an incredible experience, and I can't wait. I can't wait to experience a new culture, a new educational system, and a new (incredibly beautiful) environment. I am really lucky to have so many people be so supportive and excited for me! That makes me even more excited to go and to be able to share my experiences and pictures with everyone back home!

I know the next few weeks is going to fly by! I have final projects to finish up, an apartment to pack up, a load of stuff to take to grandma's house (with the help of a very generous friend!), a full week to work, and a drive home. I am thoroughly looking forward to spending the next few weeks with friends and family, celebrating the Christmas holiday (including doing my seasonal baking hopefully!), and making the few final preparations for my experience of a lifetime!

P.S. I joined the Facebook Group for the international students at HIH today, and got my first introduction to the rest of the students! This makes it even more real!

No comments:

Post a Comment