Thursday, May 7, 2015

Sights and Sounds from Stagnes 8-13: Saying Goodbye


      Sixteen weeks ago, I was walking into a (somewhat) unknown, nervewracking situation. When I arrived in Norway, I knew I was going to be working in a school with 8-10th graders, and I knew that the school I was placed in was geared more for students who need a more practical, hands-on education. That was the extent of what I knew. I was nervous, to say the least. I didn't know what exactly I would be expected to do, how the students would react to this stranger coming into their school, or how the teachers would be having someone sitting in on their classes. Now, after spending the last sixteen weeks with all of the wonderful people at Stagnes 8-13, I can honestly say I could not have asked for a better school placement!
     There were many different aspects which made Stagnes such a wonderful place to do my practical experience:
     The teachers at Stagnes were truly welcoming. They were all more than willing to have me sit in on classes, and they would try to give me a brief overview of what was being covered so that I wasn't completely lost sitting in a class where I didn't understand a word being said! All of the teachers at Stagnes seem to really love their jobs, and they all have smiles on their faces each and every day. That made it really easy for me to want to be there everyday! 
     A few teachers in particular really made a great difference in my time at Stagnes, and I want to offer them my sincerest thanks. First, my supervising teacher Caroline. She was always willing to answer my questions, make sure I was in classes that I would get the most out of, and she was constantly checking to make sure everything was okay. It was really awesome knowing that I would have had any problems or concerns, that I could have gone to her and she would have helped me out in a heartbeat! 
     Second is Harold. From day one, he was willing to answer any questions I had, and he was genuinely interested in educational topics back in the United States. I was in many classes with him, including English and Music, and one of my favorite things about his English classes was that he incorporated music and used song lyrics to teach English words, which I absolutely loved! Anytime I was in one of his classes, he always tried to speak as much English as possible, which was really helpful for me. He also asked me to correct him anytime he was saying something incorrect, but I had a hard time with that because I was just so thrilled to be speaking English I didn't even pick up on if he was saying something incorrectly! 
     Finally is Nicole. She, like the others, was always willing to help me with any questions I had. She took me shopping at a large grocery store here in town shortly after I arrived, and gave me tips and tricks on grocery shopping in Norway. If I was doing an activity with one of her classes outside of the school and didn't know where to go, she was more than happy to give me a ride. She lent me her cross-country skis during Winter Week, and taught me how to use them. She didn't even laugh when I almost fell multiple times! Rather she encouraged me along and told me how well I was doing for it being my first time. Finally, knowing she makes the traditional Norwegian mittens, she was more than happy to make me a couple pairs to take home with me! 
     The students at Stagnes are truly a unique group of students. Right away, I think they weren't so sure about me. They seemed to be hesitant to talk to me, especially those who felt like their English isn't very good. However, just a week or two into my experience, I was able to start developing a relationship with many of the students, and I felt like they became more comfortable talking to me. Some of them loved to get me to try and say Norwegian words (I have no idea what some of the words meant, and I'm glad I could give them a good laugh while butchering the pronounciation). Soem of them asked me all kinds of questions about many different things. I was glad they felt comfortable enough with me to ask me questions. Even in the last few weeks of my experience, those who at the beginning told me they weren't good in English would have a short conversation with me. One of the things I hope I accomplished at my time at Stagnes was to help build the students' confidence in their English abilities. I really enjoyed getting to know all of the students, and will miss all of them very much! 
     Finally, the experiences I had while at Stagnes are ones I will hold with me for the rest of my life. Whether it was something that happened on a normal day, or a special event I got to take part in, they all played a part in making my time at Stagnes so wonderful. There were so many moments that made my time at Stagnes memorable, and if I was to list them all this post would never end! These are the few, that while I'm writing this, stick out to me as some of my favorites:
     -Watching the students play some very competitive games of table tennis before school and during
    their breaks. 
     -Seeing the amazing drawing talents of many of the students. There was always a select few who 
     could be seen drawing almost all the time, and their drawings were, in my opinion, awesome! I even 
     got one of them to draw me a characicature of my brother and sister, which I can't wait to show 
     them when I get home!
     -Watching the jaws of the 10th grade boys drop when they found out I got my driver's license when
     I was 14. Here, they don't get their license until they are 18, and they just couldn't believe I was that
     young when I started driving. It was something that came up MULTIPLE times!
     -Getting to spend three days with the 10th grade class in Oslo. This was a wonderful trip, and I got 
     the opportunity to get to know the students better. 
     -Seeing one of the tenth grade boys jump in and save his partner during an oral presentation. A   
      couple of the boys were giving their presentation on the American Civil War (a topic which I taught   
     the lesson on). When talking about the North and South, one of the boys started to say who was   
     for slavery and who was against it-except he had the two mixed up. His friend jumped in and said, 
     "I'm gonna stop you right there...". Maybe you had to be there, but it was so funny, and I was glad 
     someone was paying attention while I was teaching! 
     -Vinter Uke (Winter Week) was probably one of my favorite weeks at the school. I got to spend the 
     week outside, getting to do various winter activities with the students, including going cross-country 
     skiing for the first time! 
     -Getting to explore the Trondenes area of Harstad with some of the students, including the German 
     Camp ruins and a cave!
     -Getting to share pictures and information about North Dakota with the 10th grade class. I was 
     really fun to be able to show them where I come from and how my family from Norway got to North 
     Dakota.
     -Getting to observe the various practice exams the tenth graders had to take in preparation for their 
     exams that are coming up in a couple of weeks. It was interesting to see how this varies from exam 
     practices in the Unites States.
     -After telling one of the students that I had always wanted a chimpanzee for a pet, having her tell 
     you, "you could just get a husband, they practically do the same thing!"

Here are a couple pictures of the awesome students I have gotten to know the last 16 weeks...

This was the fearless crew that raced go-karts in Oslo. I had a  blast with them-even when they laughed at me for how slow I was driving!

John was excited to take his picture with the guard at the Royal Residence in Oslo. 

The entire 10th grade class in front of the Stortinga-the Norwegian Parliament building. 

The adults had just as much fun as the students in Oslo! 

The students had a blast dressing up and shooting an album cover at the Pop Center in Oslo

The students were all ready to go see the chocolate making process at the Freia factory! (A.K.A. Heaven on Earth!) 

The students playing outdoor rugby during Vinter Uke

Mia and Amalie were giving me encouragement as I tested out skis for the first time. But secretly, they were both hoping I'd fall so they could have a good laugh! Joke was on them as I didn't fall once!

While watching the Norwegian Ski championships, Mia didn't know who she was cheering for. (Her sign says "Go Sweeden! Or is it Denmark?" and her face is painted with the flag from Finland!) Obviously she knew who she was really cheering for, but she was putting her great sense of humor to work! 

     Saying goodbye to everyone at Stagnes the last couple days has been much harder than I expected. I am not usually one to cry, but I have cried twice in the last two days. First time was yesterday, when all of the staff came together after school to say goodbye to me. While I didn't get to know some of them as well as I did others, it was still nice for them to come and wish me luck. Before they gave me a gift, they all went around and said something to me, which was really, really nice. Then it was my turn to say something to them. This is where the tears came. I didn't have a clue to put into words how to thank them all for making my experience here in Norway such a wonderful one. I made it through, and then it was time to eat some cake, made by Elin. She made me Norway's national cake, as she knew I hadn't tried it yet. Let me tell you, it was quite tasty!

The Kvæfjordkake the was made for the goodbye with the staff.

The awesome cheese slicer I was given! I was so excited to get this, and can't wait to use it to cut my brown cheese (a Norwegian specialty!)

     Saying goodbye yesterday wasn't as hard as it could have been, because I knew that I still had one more day. Let's just say the emotions were a little more today. I spent the morning in music class, like every other Friday I have been at Stagnes. After lunch, it was time to start saying goodbye to the 10th graders. While I spent time with the 8th and 9th graders, I spent the most time with the 10th graders and developed some really great relationships with them. I knew it was going to be rough saying goodbye, and I was correct. They each had made handwritten cards for me, with really sweet messages in them. I both smiled and teared up while reading them. They are truly special to me, and I am so thankful that they took the time to make them for me. After giving me the cards, we went to the gym and spent the next two hours playing various games (including my new favorite gym game called Cannonball). When it was really time to say goodbye, I got multiple hugs from the students and from Caroline, and I tried (and failed) to not tear up again. I told them all to look me up on Facebook, and told them if they ever want to come to the United States, that they are more than welcome to stay with my family and I in good old North Dakota! 
     I hope to stay in contact with many people that I met, and am hoping through the wonders of technology that will be possible. Caroline told me that if I ever want some Norwegian chocolate or anything else to let her know, and she will send it to me! She should be careful what she offers as I have developed a bit of an addiction to the delicious chocolate here in Norway! 


     I truly cannot thank everyone at Stagnes enough for giving me such a wonderful school experience. I will miss everyone so much! 








     

No comments:

Post a Comment