Friday, May 1, 2015

Exploring Trondenes

     Last week, I got the chance to explore a new part of Harstad. I went with one of the stations from Stagnes to the Trondenes region of the the city. This area of town has a lot of history, and it was cool to learn about it all! The day I was there with the group from the school, we spent the first part of the day making boxes for bumblebees to inhabit. Then, after lunch, we went out to look for spots for them to place the boxes at a later date, and this search turned into an impromtu history lesson. 
     This is probably one of the coolest areas of Harstad I have seen thus far. There is a beautiful medeival church, a historical center, multiple walking trails, and multiple different ruins of the German occupation during WWII, including a concentration camp that housed Russian POWs. The day I was there with the students, I took multiple photos on my phone, but I knew that I must return later with my good camera to get some better photos! Today was that day. The weather was absolutely beautiful, and I was able to get some awesome pictures! 

I got this picture the first day I was out at Trondenes-believe it or not, this photo was taken about ten minutes before it started snowing! 


This door has different family signs carved into it. I was told that if your family sign was carved into the door, you were able to trade (or "shop") here. 

Inside the church 

Drawing behind the altar. 

The key to the church


So the previous photos were all taken on my phone...the following photos were taken today on our beautiful hike through this beautiful area. 




While we were out walking around today, I spotted a couple of the bumblebee boxes we made last week!

A little history about the church





Now some of the ruins of buildings from the German Occupation of Harstad...





We had some fun going through a small cave! 



What a truly beautiful day here in Northern Norway!! 
































No comments:

Post a Comment