Tuesday, July 29, 2014

The Start of a Great Adventure

     Ever since I was little, I knew I wanted to travel. Going to Russia in 4th grade just helped cement this dream of mine. When I started college, I thought that studying abroad would be a great way to not only get some college credits, but also travel and see new parts of the world. The only problem was that I didn't know if studying abroad would be possible with the major I had picked: Special Education. In April of 2014, I found I was wrong, and that it would be possible for me to study abroad. My class and I were told about the High North Fellowship, which is a scholarship which would allow one of us to travel to Norway for a semester and get practicum experience. I had heard a little bit about this opportunity before from my advisor and from someone who had previously gotten this scholarship and went to Norway. While I thought it would be a great experience, I wasn't sure if it was something I would have to opportunity to do or not. 
     After being given more information on the scholarship, I really did debate on whether or not to apply. My biggest reservation was the fact that it would add an entire semester onto my already 5 year program. However, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that this would truly be a once in a lifetime experience, and that I would probably never have a chance like this again. I began filling out my application, and the more I thought about it the more excited I got about this opportunity. 
      I handed my application in at the end of April, and then the waiting game began. I was told at the beginning of June that I was a finalist for the scholarship, which was exciting in itself. I had an interview shortly after finding out I was a finalist. Then, after the interview, more waiting. The study abroad office at MSU was very good at keeping me up to date on what was going on, which helped make the waiting a little more bearable. 
     Finally, on July 29 I got the phone call I had been waiting for. I was selected to receive the High North Fellowship Scholarship! This means that I will be traveling to Norway during the Spring 2015 semester, and will be working in a school for students with disabilities. I am really looking forward to experiencing how education is in another country, and am hoping to bring ideas back that will help me in my future career as a Special Education teacher. I could not be more excited about receiving this scholarship and I am so thankful to be able to experience this one in a lifetime opportunity!
     As excited as I am, I am also nervous. However, I think that is a normal emotion for anyone who is traveling to a completely different country by themself. I worry about getting homesick, getting lost when I'm over there, and having a hard time communicating. However, I know that with Skype, Facebook, and Facetime, I will be able to keep in contact with my friends and family back home. I know that I should not have a hard time communicating with people while in Norway, as most of the speak English. And finally, I know that getting lost is sometimes the best way to have a great adventure! (and I have GPS on my phone to help me find my way back!) I also have to comfort in knowing I have people I can turn to with any questions or concerns I have that will be more than willing to answer my questions!
     I look forward to using this blog to keep everyone updated on my trip, including my thoughts and feelings leading up to, during, and after my time in Norway! Stay tuned for more!!

     

No comments:

Post a Comment