Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Another Great Week in the Books!

I can't believe I've already been here for a whole month! It's crazy how time flies! This week, I completed my fourth week of practicum. A couple highlights of my week at school were:
-Getting to teach a lesson about the Civil War to the tenth grade class. This was more difficult than I was anticipating it to be! While putting together my powerpoint, I realized there was a lot of information I didn't know myself! I kept it as brief as possible, and had to keep reminding myself to keep the language fairly simple. Overall, I think it went pretty well. I did have a few students ask me some questions. Most of them I was able to answer, but one student asked me what would have happened had the South won the war. I had to tell him I honestly had no idea! 
-Getting to attend a movie with the school. This was definitely an interesting experience. I found out last Friday that we would be going to a movie, and my supervising teacher explained what it was about to me. I asked her if it was in English or Norwegian (most movies here are in English with Norwegian subtitles). She wasn't sure, so she looked. We found out that the dialogue of this movie was in Arabic, and it would have Norwegian subtitles. My teacher couldn't help but laugh! I tried to stay optimistic about it, and had i been able to follow along with what was going on, I think it would've been an okay movie-however, for the most part, I didn't have a clue what was going on! 
     The real excitement this week came in with the storm that blew through the area starting on Thursday. Now, growing up in North Dakota, I am used to strong winds, blowing snow, and everything else that comes with a good old fashioned North Dakota weather. But the wind we had this weekend was something else! Thursday night was the first (but not the last) night this weekend that I was woken up in the middle of the night by the wind shaking my wall and window! It was crazy! We were told that Saturday the wind was supposed to be hurricane force for part of the day-and I don't doubt that at times it was! 
     Even with the crazy weather, I was able to get out and enjoy my weekend! Our coordinatior from Minot State, Emma, was in town for the weekend, and it was nice to have lunch with her and then go experience something new in town-the swimming pool! We went to lunch at this cute little cafe, and not only did I have a latte with some milk art on the top for the first time ever, but I had the most deliciious bowl of mussels to eat! They were so good!! After we got done eating, we decided to go swimming at the Grottebadet, which is the pool and gym here in town. The cool thing about this pool is that it is built into a cave! The pool are has multiple different pools, including a lap pool (one of the nicest lap pools I've been in!), a walk-in pool with a water slide, and a hot-tub. On the day we were there, they had set up a floatable obstacle course in the lap pool, and we had a lot of fun playing on that!
This video doesn't even come close to showing how windy it actually was!!

Down on the pier on Saturday morning before the wind got really bad. 

My super cute coffee and delicious Mussels at the Four Roses Cafe! (will DEFINITELY be going back here!)

The entrance to the swimming pool/gym!


1 comment: